Sunday, December 05, 2004

I Am Going to Say 'Goodbye' to Symantec

Symantec's products have been on my computer a very long time. I currently use Norton utilities, (I may have to keep that) Norton's Internet Security which is the firewall and Norton Antivirus. I have been happy with these products. True they are big resource hogs, but I have plenty of rsources and have configured the products to not load until needed. Of course, the anti-virus and firewall are needed at startup.

So why am I going to say 'Goodbye'? I don't like being lied to. I purchased a product called Drive Image back in August, from a very well known retailer of Electronics. The product was advertised for $69.95 with two rebates, one was for an upgrade, $30, (I already had an earlier version) and the other was for purchasing the product, $40. Unfortunately, the company that made Drive Image was bought by Symantec.

I duly filled out the rebate slips and carefully made sure I had everything that was required. I also made copies of each of the rebates. The copies are stored in my Rebates folder in My Documents. Imagine my surprise when I received a rebate check for $20! That was it! So, I attempted to find a contact email address for Symantec Rebates, however, if they have one, it is very well hidden. They do have a page on their site for rebates, but no contact information that I could find. Apparently they don't feel it is necessary for customers to contact them to find out why the advertised rebates and the actual amount of the rebate are not the same. So, when it comes time for me to renew my anti-virus subscription, another product, as yet undecided, will take it's place. The same thing will happen for my firewall.

The sad thing is, I would have bought the product without the rebates. But if someone (or some company) lies to me, it's all over!

2 comments:

gatekeeper said...

Hey martha I usually dont buy software, i just download it and use it (yes i know its wrong but i will do it anyway) so i prety much have tried many diferent kinds of antivirus, firewalls etc etc and i would like to recomend to you to try out Zone Alarm security suite (i think they have a trial verssion ) give it a shot it has worked great for me.
http://captnsblogg.blogspot.com/

mistywindow said...

Spot on Martha. They lost the plot after SystemWorks 2003.
mistywindow