Friday, April 20, 2007

'Zoom' in Outlook 2007

I am using Outlook 2007. When replying to a message in HTML format, I somehow managed to get into a 'Zoom' mode of only 10%. This made the message totally unreadable of course and I could not see what I was typing. I tried forwarding the message, same thing. I tried another message in text format, same thing.

Since I don't recall ever seeing 'Zoom' in previous versions of Outlook, I had no idea what was going on. A search of Microsoft's Outlook 2007 site was a search in vain. Since I didn't know I was in 'Zoom' 10%, I had no inkling that I should be searching on 'Zoom'.

I am persistent and started looking through every one of the countless menus that are now in Outlook 2007, depending on what you are doing. Menus in new messages, replying or forwarding seem to have 'growed like Topsy'! (As far as that goes, all menus in Office 2007 seem to be a lot more and until I got a tad familiar with the way they are done, very hard to navigate.)

Just about the time I thought the update for Outlook 2007 that I had installed earlier had somehow broken Outlook, I discovered 'Zoom'. I guess it could come in handy, but I sure would like to know how I managed to get 'Zoom' with 10% in the first place, as I certainly didn't knowingly set that in place!

I just wish there was a 'Zoom' for some of the menus and buttons, especially those teeny arrows at the top for previous and next messages.

And FYI, that earlier update I installed was to make Outlook 2007 stop being so sluggish, and by golly it worked!

Martha

Martha's Web
Martha's Place

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am zoomed at 200% on all messages. Can you post how you managed to fix this?

Martha said...

To change the font in Outlook 2007, while in a new message, select Format Txt and click the Zoom button. If it is 200%, change to 100%. Then click OK.

Martha

Greg Rickaby said...

THANK YOU! This was soooo annoying! Now I know how to turn it OFF!

-Greg

Jebha said...

Ya,its working..i have tried it..so helpful for me ..thank you Martha..

~~Perdóname~~ said...

Hey Guys .. Just wanted to confirm does Zoom in Outlook 2003 works as Outlook 2007 or it's by Design

Any Suggestions would be appreciated

brobry said...

any ideas on how to set it permanently to like 125%? i like to sit back from my computer monitor and the text is just a little too small for that.

Martha said...

Just use the scroll to set the size for something other than the sizes given.

Martha

L. Easterly said...

Thanks for posting you solution this was VERY helpful.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, I was having the same problem and could NOT figure it out! THANKS!!

Unknown said...

I would like all messages I read to open at 125% zoom. When I set the zoom on a new blank message, it keeps the setting for every time I write a new e-mail. However, I can't get the same to happen on messages I'm reading.

Whenever I open a message, I change the zoom to 125%. But then when I close the e-mail and open it up again, it's back to 100% and all other e-mails are at 100%. How do I get it so that all e-mails open at 125%? Thanks!!

Martha said...

In Outlook, go to Tools/Options and click the Other tab. Then click Advanced Options. Click the Font button. Change the Font size to a larger size and then click OK. You may have to experiment to get the Font size what you want.

Anonymous said...

Random stranger saying Thanks! This was bugging my boss (and thus, me).

Unknown said...

Thank you so much!!!!! <<: -- )) I was getting ready to shoot myself. I still don't know how I managed to change the zoom to 10%.

Anonymous said...

Holding down the Control Key (Ctrl) while moving the scroll wheel on your mouse will cause the font to zoom in (grow larger) or zoom out (grow smaller) depending on the direction you roll the mouse scroll wheel. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Thank You!!! I was getting seriously worked up over this:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot!!. This was so annoying. your suggestion worked fine and i can see text in original size

Sam

Anonymous said...

Martha, THANK YOU! I had the same problem (accidentally zoomed to 10% with no idea how I did it). MS help is no help at all. I knew someone smarter than I am would have figured it out and posted on line. Thanks for the helpful post.

Beth

Unknown said...

Thanks for help!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the help!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I am yet another who somehow changed the zoom without realizing and had no idea how to fix it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for helping me to turn off the zoom. It was driving me NUTS!

Alexis said...

Yesterday at work with Outlook I had an error and after most of my data were damaged...I didn't know what to do,but I used google and found-how to restore an ost file.It was perfectly,program recover all my data in 30 seconds.Moreover tool is free as is known and it could extract a list of files in *.eml, *.txt and *.vcf formats.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Ben said...

@ Don Draper -> many thanks. This saved me a couple of hours ! I needed to attach a mouse in order to use the CTRL+scroll wheel, no idea on how I managed to zoom to 10% with the touchpad I'm using...

@ Martha -> I still didn't find the Zoom function in Outlook. Anyow, don't need it anymore, the mouse saved me !

Sunder said...

Thank you so much Martha!!!

Sunder said...

Thank you so much Martha!!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic. I finally was able to fix this thanks to you. It was so annoying!!

Whaner said...

Tks from Brazil! You solved my problem...

= Jari = said...

Thx from Finland!
(-18C)

Sayman said...

THANKS YOU! It was very annoying.

MS - take note...

Anonymous said...

thank you. thank you. thank you.

Anonymous said...

First of all, three cheers to the World Wide Web! How did we ever manage without it! Thank you Martha and all the other contributors a million times. I had somehow managed to zoom my compose screen to 500% and it was driving me nuts! No amount of fiddling with the menu would fix it. Wouldn't it make sense that if I'm zoomed, the "unzoom" shows up on the right click popup menu?

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot...I was a victim of 200% zoom for 2 weeks.