Sunday, October 17, 2010

Free (But only for your private information)

Some 'free' things are not free.  If you have to provide your personal detail in order to receive information, it isn't free.  Companies pay big bucks for user details, so many sites try to collect them.  That's why there are so many social networking sites.  They don't charge you a fee, but you pay with your details.

I am a fanatic about Facebook privacy.  So when I saw this 'free' offer for "The (Very) Unoficial Guide to Facebook Privacy Free Guide", I bit.

But it isn't free.  In order to get this guide I have to provide a LOT of personal information.
"Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this Guide."

I suspect the guide would tell me not to provide this kind of information to Facebook, but I think I'll just pass on this 'Free Guide'.

Can you say 'Hypocrite'?

Martha

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Now you can use Facebook but still keep your messages private. And you don't have to depend on Facebook privacy settings. Just ‘CLOAK’ your messages with your own private keyword using the free CloakGuard browser plugin. This garbles your message and only the people you've shared your keyword with (and not Facebook) can read your messages.

Free Cloakguard plugin for Facebook available from:
Download - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/194385/
Demo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qN3TBqx08