Thursday, October 25, 2012

Fixing Firefox

My favorite web browser is Firefox.  But lately it was so slow. Some pages (sites) didn't seem to open at all and other pages were oh so slow. I was getting 'not responding' as well when trying to load pages.

After awhile I decided to just use Chrome as my default browser because it was so much faster. Chrome is OK and I do like it, but I missed Firefox.

So I decided to try to 'fix' Firefox. That was an exercise in frustration.  All of those tweaks I found while searching for a fix for Firefox were just a little bit of help or no help at all.

I tried removing all of the settings, extensions and other stuff from Firefox by going to Help/Troubleshooting Information and selecting 'Reset Firefox to default state'.

This saved all of my stuff in a folder called 'Old Firefox Data' and supposedly set it back like a new install.  No help there, still as slow as molasses in January.

I decided to go the uninstall/reinstall route.  I had done this before and it seemed to help a bit, but this time Firefox was still way to slow.

I decided to get drastic.  I backed up my Bookmarks and used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Firefox.  I selected the Advanced mode to uninstall Firefox and it uninstalled everything, including the Registry entries and all of the stuff in AppData.  Nothing remained of my old Firefox. (One thing I noticed when I selected Mozilla Firefox in Revo, it showed version 15 and I had version 16 installed.  I am thinking all those older versions may have still had bits and pieces still lingering on my system and eventually let to the terrible slowdown for Firefox.)

I opened Chrome and downloaded a fresh new copy of Firefox and installed it.

Wow! It's fast! I am still testing it , but oh, yeah, I've got my Firefox back!

Martha

No comments: