Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Problems With Yahoo’s Neo Groups

Seems like there are a lot of problems with neo, but it also seems like its who you ask. There is a cadre of folks trying to force Yahoo to get rid of neo and bring back the old format. (Sorry folks, it won’t happen!) Some but not too many folks say they like the new format.

As with anything new and changed, there is a number of folks that are resistant. Same is true with neo. One of the biggest problems is the change is not happening all at once to everyone to everyone or to every group.

It appears to be a work in progress. Bringing back features seem to be happening, but isn’t consistent and doesn’t always seem to ‘stick’. Lots of things are there, but hidden and some are broken for now.

Pros so far, clean interface. Ease of switching from one group to another is MUCH easier. Posts entered while on the website are almost immediate.

Cons so far, almost too many to name. Post delivery to Inboxes extremely sporadic and sometimes never happens or days later.  (This has happened many times before neo came into being.)  Some groups are neo, some are not.  Seems to be random.

For the average user neo seems to be working ok, although the banner is not what users are used to seeing. Group owners are having a hard time trying to remove or change that banner if they have been transferred to neo, impossible if they are still using the old format. The mail delivery is probably the thing that impacts them the most.

Group owners and moderators are having the worst of it. Functions they normally perform to keep the groups working are often not working and some are having a problem even finding where those functions are located.

In my neo ID, I have found most of what I need. So far what I see that will impact a lot of users, the photos cannot be downloaded easily. This wouldn’t bother me much, but for some users this is a major problem, also for some types of groups. Many owners keep track of bouncing members.  The bouncing list in my neo ID shows every member, past and present that has ever appeared on the bouncing list. This is obviously broken and is an example of stuff that stays on the web forever!

The list of problems seems endless, but everyday some more things get fixed and eventually I hope it will all work.

The biggest issue of all was the fact that Yahoo didn't tell folks about neo before they implemented it.

Martha

8 comments:

white squirrel said...

The New and "improved" Neo format is absolutely HORRIBLE as evidenced by the many comments at this site.

http://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451

Peter Card said...

" Ease of switching from one group to another is MUCH easier. "

?? It really isn't. The LH panel shows some, but not all my groups, and the ... more option brings up some more, but not all. The show all option will display all the groups it has room for on the RH panel , which is to say eight. Sadly, it does not respond to the browser's scroll bar, so eight is all you get.

It's not even worse than the old system. It simply doesn't work.

Juan said...

I really dislike the new Yahoo Groups Neo Fortmat and none of the pictures are jpg, all of them are links and I am darn angry, please return to the old format ASAP, and you need to listen Yahoo or else I am quitting Yahoo Groups and I'll use facebook permanently!!!

Martha said...

Tell Yahoo. I had nothing to do with it!

Schalti said...

I miss my graphic... more over, I miss the control I had with the graphic.... the graphics I select once each year set the mood and tone for the Groups I administrate... THAT simple joy is gone... shame on you, Yahoo

K Foote said...

I just convinced my group to start a Yahoo group page, as I had done several years ago when we lived and worked in another country. I had been the moderator. Boy, have I started a Yahoo group at the wrong time. I can't switch from conversations to topics, the page refused to recognize the mouse click, messages aren't showing up, topics are impossible to get stated in conversations, I'm having a difficult time getting members invited, on and on and on. I started the group with a clean slate, it wasn't started with old Yahoo and switched to Neo. I can manipulate the info any way Yahoo wants me to, but the site simply is neither responsive nor intuitive. I had expected improvements since the last time I moderated a group. What a disappointment for me and frustrating experience for my members. What are my alternatives??

Dan Cooper said...

The user interface is bad enough, but I could live with it if it worked. It doesn't. Half the time none of the links or buttons respond at all.

Andy said...

My primary concern is the database. The group use it to co-ordinate our activities: dates; who can make it; details; etc. Basically the DB does not work. As I can find no complaint about it, I assume few people actually use this option, which means yahoo will be a long time, sorting it out.