Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Sneaky Spam

The things that spammers try never cease to amaze me. They always try to keep a step ahead of unsuspecting folks by using new tactics to get attention.

For my website I have a contact form for users to ask questions or just make comments about the site. I made this site back when Windows XP was young and a lot of folks used the email that came with XP, Outlook Express.  I used to get a lot of questions about Outlook Express and I still get a few questions, but for the most part the feedback form just generates those folks trying to sell me an SEO service. I don’t answer those as I even have a notice telling those folks I won’t answer.

I seldom get any other type of spam, but today I did! While it was a bit clever and made me laugh, I wonder why it was even done?
The spam:

Name of sender: Kathie
Email of sender: kathiekearns@gmail.com
------------------------- COMMENTS -------------------------
Hello, I am writing in an unusual case ... Some time ago, I used your services, and one of your employees face was familiar to me. At dinner with my wife, it turned out that he was a burglar, who 5 years ago broke into our home!!! This is ridiculous!!! How you can hire criminals? I found at least 3 bad entries for him at website for background check http://everifies.com !! I am sure there are more!!! Please do something about it, things like that are ridiculous!!!

Normally I wouldn’t have clicked that link, but I did accidentally and here is what came up:

everifies

So some spammer is way behind and wasting their time.
My website needs a serious overhaul and I am not quite sure what to do about it, but turning it into a blog may be the answer.

Martha

No comments: