Thursday, March 27, 2008

I Knew Better

Once in a while someone I trust will post something in a Yahoo Group or blog and I take it for gospel. I shouldn't do that, because some things they post are really not what a user should do.

I won't mention any names, but there was a recent post/blog about getting ready for Vista that said I should go ahead and install the drivers that Windows update says I need. The message went on to say that although the writer ordinarily advised against installing drivers from Windows update, this is an exception.

So, thinking that this must be OK, I installed the driver for my graphics card that Windows update said is available and re-booted.

OMG! I have ruined my computer! The display is (and there is no other word to describe it) horrible! No amount of tweaking, changing settings, helps! This is a disaster! It looks worse than Safe-Mode!

Then I remembered System Restore. So I restored the computer to the day before and now everything is back the way it should be.

If I have to install those drivers that Windows update says I need before I can install Vista SP1, then it just isn't going to happen. Vista SP1 will not be installed. Besides from what I have read, it will fix things that don't need fixing on my computer. Hibernation works just fine along with everything else that supposedly needs fixing.

I am hoping that Microsoft will 'fix' SP1 to work with my drivers, especially if one day I see the dreaded message on Windows Update "You must have SP1 installed to update Vista".

In the meantime I'm going to find out what version my video card driver uses, and download it it for safe keeping.

Another lesson learned. I did know better, but I did it anyway. Thank you, Microsoft, for System Restore!

Martha

1 comment:

mistywindow said...

Kia ora Martha,

NVIDIA drivers from MS updates are not always compatible with your hardware, as you've found. I had the same problem as you did with my Dell laptop. Killed my screen stone dead.
You were lucky with System Restore. In my experience, the more dire the need the less likely it is to work. I rely on imaging as you've probably noticed when a certain pig and I get ranting on this hobby horse on Tech Hideaway.
It always pays to ignore MS's hardware update suggestions.
Think of the poor innocent souls who allow MS to automatically install updates. :o(

Nice blog yourself.

May I put a link to you on mine?

Naka noa
na Alan.