Thursday, March 13, 2008

Whatever Happened to Dr Bombay, Computer MD?

Last year Dr Bombay just disappeared. No one seems to know where he went. For those who don't know about Dr. Bombay, let me explain. He was a very sarcastic, hateful and knowledgeable computer columnist in my newspaper! When someone asked a question, Dr Bombay would answer in terms that surely made the questioner wish he/she hadn't asked! But the answers were just about always right to the point and they were just about always right. He showed no mercy to hapless users that failed to make backups and lost their data or to users that lost data due to virus, worms or spyware making their computers useless.

He had a column in the paper every Thursday and I really looked forward to that column. (I have a warped sense of humor sometimes.) I just waited for the time when in his sarcastic words he slipped up and gave a wrong answer. Didn't happen though.

When the Thursday came that no longer had Dr. Bombay's column, everyone wondered where he went. The newspaper didn't seem to know. They reported he just left and no one knew where or why. So if anyone there knew, they weren't telling.

Google searches for Dr Bombay are in vain. There are thousands of hits, but they go nowhere. They mostly go to 'Page not found' or other disappointing places. A lot of them go to well known websites, but usually to a page no longer there. There are tons of hits for the Fort Worth Star Telegram (my newspaper) but even those go to dead ends. I did find one page that contained some of Dr Bombay's pithy answers. If you want to, you can view some of Dr Bombay's pithy answers.

Dr Bombay had a website, The Bombay Institute, and it also disappeared, . His website had the archives for his column in the newspaper. I had it bookmarked, but it goes to someplace else now. My guess is when he left and didn't renew his domain, someone else bought it for the page rank.

I like to think Dr Bombay is somewhere out there in cyberspace chortling at the mis-information being given to frazzeled computer users. (There is a lot of that happening!) I feel bad about all that mis-information, but I really have to wonder what kind of sarcastic remarks Dr. Bombay would have made about Vista!

If you know what happened to Dr. Bombay, please let me know!

Martha

2 comments:

Nita said...

Star-Telegram Newspaper says (I miss him too):

Are you looking for DR. BOMBAY? Our favorite Dr. has retired. Click here to see other Star-Telegram columnists: COLUMNISTS

Sylvia Castillo said...

Where can I locate his publishings, he was probably making pennies for expertise. That is the only reason I bought the newpaper on Sunday's. I dropped my subscription after I could not find him anymore. He was funny and he was real.