Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Problem Fixed!

My Expression Web had been working just fine. Then today it kept freezing and would have to be closed.  Sometimes I got the message it encountered a problem and had to close. I used a neat utility, FPCleaner, but that didn't seem to help.

So what's going on? I am in the middle of converting my website using a new new template and DWT. Until today I had no problems What's different today that I'm having this problem with EW?

Then I remembered, I had turned 'Fast Indexing' back on. Big mistake! So I turned it off and now everything is working just fine.

To turn 'Fast Indexing' off is easy, but you must be logged on as an Administrator.

1. Click on Start button, simply type “Services” (don't use the quotes) in Start Search box.
2. When the UAC (User Account Control) asks for permission click Continue.
3. Locate a service named 'Windows Search'. Double click on 'Windows Search' to open the Windows Search properties.
4. Click on Stop button to stop the indexing service immediately.
5. On the Startup Type dropdown box, select Disabled.
6. Click on OK button.

Sometimes a problem solution is just too easy. However, sometimes it isn't. Glad this one was the 'easy' solution!

But I still don't know why Fast Indexing made EW freeze up and crash!

Martha

No comments: