Monday, October 20, 2008

What's Next?

All of us have endured the endless onslaught of Spam for a long time and there doesn't seem to be an end to it in sight.

In the last few months I am getting 'invitations' from people I never heard of to join web sites of dubious value and motives.

First it was the invitation to visit 'my Refriendz page and see my latest photos.' I blogged about this a while back.

But now it's a flood from Refriendz, FriendsClub, Question It, etc and of course Grouply. I expect others will soon follow. It makes no difference, it's all Spam to me.

I am not sure exactly how these 'social' sites work and I really don't care to find out, other than they annoy folks like me who do not want those spammy emails.

But Grouply really worries me. The concept sounds good, get all of your Groups emails on one web page. There is another way to get them all in one place, folks. Download the messages to an email program or to Gmail! That way you don't compromise your Yahoo login and password by giving it to some website!

You say, well if some fool wants to give up his or her logging credentials that's their problem. Guess what, it could be your problem and my problem.  All it would take is for some sneaky soul to scrape his Grouply site to a blog and your email address and mine are exposed to the world.

If you have a Yahoo Group and you don't want your Group posts on Grouply you can stop it. Just use the information here to keep your members from belonging to Grouply if you wish.  Tell Grouply to leave your Group alone

Once you enter your Group's owner email, you get a code to enter and then you can set the controls to allow or prevent Grouply from taking control of your Group.

Now Yahoo is trying to get in on the invitations. They call theirs 'Connections'. In all fairness, they don't attempt to have users send an invite to everyone in their address book, but some of these 'Connections' are a tad dubious.

I just wish these sites would leave those invitations, connections or what ever they want to call them, alone and not keep adding to the Spam in our Inboxes!

Martha

1 comment:

Martha said...

I have 'chased' the very real and tangible problem of Groups scrapping and I know how to stop it. Unfortunately one of my Groups was scrapped, but due to investigation we managed to stop it and learned how to prevent it in the future. I do understand that your Grouply may not require a log-in and password, but you are still making private posts available without permission from the other posters on private Groups. How are you preventing a Grouply member from scrapping?

What's your answer to the spamming your members do when they add everyone in the address book to be 'invited'?