Sunday, October 28, 2007

Ugly Houses

There is a business that actually buys ugly houses. You have probably seen billboards advertising 'We Buy Ugly Houses'. A few years ago, they just seemed to pop up everywhere. Apparently a lot of people are selling their ugly houses and investors fix them up and sell them for a tidy profit.

I guess I have led a sheltered life, as I didn't understand what they meant by 'ugly'. I thought they meant old houses in need of repair. I didn't realize they meant neglected, run-down, disgusting, dirty, trashed out houses!

They are having a contest right now about which house is the ugliest. Some of them are perfectly understandable judged ugly just by looking at the outside, but some of them surely qualify by just the inside! If you want to , you can vote on the 'ugliest house of the year'. (I voted!) After looking at these houses, I really appreciate mine!

While surfing around I found a site with a section on what the author considers ugly houses. I have to agree about the color choices and yard decorations. Some of them are quite 'unusual' to say the least. Butt ugly houses of the universe. There is also a saga of the author's van, but that's another story.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I cannot believe anyone ever thought Tacoma's Deriugin house was beautiful. According to the site it has been torn down. I expect everyone in the immediate vacinity was relieved!

For some really unusual looking houses (and some really ugly houses), take a few minutes or an hour to explore Unusual houses (and other unusual items) on Unusual Life. It is astonishing to me what some people want to have in or around their domiciles.

I rather imagine every city of any size has some unusual houses and probably most of them are considered ugly. Take for example some of the unusual homes on Seattle Dream Homes. I always say, 'To each his own'. I wouldn't be interested in owning something like this, but obviously someone liked it.

Want to live in a 'space ship'? Just look on Strange Houses Around The World. Some really weird structures are pictured here and some of them, if not most, are somebody's home, even the melting house! (How about that monster!)

Check out the Architecture From Another Planet - 25 Incredible (Real) Abodes Some of the listings here are on other pages listed above, but the strange houses listed here have neat descriptions that tell more about each house. Fun, but not for me!

Martha

No comments: