Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Buggy Bits in Vista

I like Vista. I didn't like it at first, but once I managed to find stuff and where to make changes, Vista is OK. I have gotten used to the UAC (User Access Control) and it doesn't seem so much in my face as it did at first. My Vista isn't as slow as a lot of folks say Vista is for them, but I keep my Start-up lean and that does make a difference.

What I don't like in Vista is the buggy replacement for Outlook Express known as Windows Mail. They removed the only redeeming feature that made it worth while for me to use OE, Identities. ( I have a number of email accounts and I like to keep them separated.)

The layout in Windows Mail is fairly similar except for the Address Book, now known as Contacts. After you use Windows Mail for awhile, you can't empty the Deleted folder. Buggy! At least with Outlook Express if a folder started misbehaving you could delete it and Outlook Express created a new one the next time you opened it.

Microsoft knows Windows mail is buggy. They made a replacement and called it Windows Live Mail. Just what is it with Microsoft that they can't come up with totally different names for stuff? First it's Outlook and Outlook Express, then Windows Messenger and Windows Messenger Service. Now it's Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail. There may be some other things with almost the same name, but off hand I don't know for sure.

When I couldn't empty the Deleted folder in Windows Mail, I downloaded and installed Windows Live Mail. I won't use Windows Live Mail much. It's buggy as well. When I tried to mark a spam as 'Junk', I got the same error message I got when I tried to empty the Deleted folder in Windows Mail! Buggy! Funny though, after I installed the new mail program, the Deleted folder in Windows Mail will now empty.

The layout for Windows Live Mail is very different and folks seem to have some problems finding what they need. One user reported her Inbox disappeared. I suspect it is still there but hiding for some reason. Buggy! This just shouldn't happen.

I am recommending Eudora for folks who need help with Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail and need a free email program. Another really good option is Mozilla's Thunderbird.

Another buggy program is Internet Explorer. A lot of folks keep getting the message that Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close. I haven't had that problem, but then I don't use Internet Explorer very much. I know they made some security changes, but why did they have to move the familiar things around so you have to hunt for them? And what happened to the ability to use copy for a web address? Control + C works, but why is 'copy' greyed out when I want to copy a web address from the Address bar? I know Firefox has spoiled me, but sometimes I have to use IE and it just aggravates me!

Martha

2 comments:

Alan Henderson said...

Yes Martha, couldn't agree more, MS don't seem to have a lot of creative minds. Who else would give two of Windows' most important programs the same names – unimaginative at that:
Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer.

Very confusing to new users.

I second Thunderbird as an email client. Used it in Linux and now use it in Windows in preference to Outlook 2007. Haven't yet found anything to give it Outlook's Calendar abilities. Sunbird doesn't seem to be up to much.

Haere ra,
Alan.

Piggie said...

Another good email program in particular if you have a LAN is Pegasus. Pegasus is a little buggy in HTML emails, but HTML email is something that should NEVER been started anyway.

With Pegasus you can set one machine in the network as the Pegasus server. Then you can log into your email account from any machine in the network. It also neatly puts everyone's email in the LAN in one folder, making backups of email a breeze.

Just this old Pigs 2 cents.......