Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Ripoff!

Every time I turn around, I see or hear about another ripoff for the average consumer. There are so many ripoffs it would be impossible to name them all.

This is not the first time I've griped about the drug companies, but today I learned about one more that really has me steamed. This one takes advantage of folks that have a hard time getting to sleep. A very heavily advertised drug that costs about $3.50 a pill (and that alone is outrageous!) on average will give the user 11 to 19 minutes more sleep. The way I figure it, if the pill taker gets 11 more minutes of sleep, those 11 minutes are costing about 32 cents a minute. Pretty pricey sleep! The commercials show folks getting a good nights sleep. Ripoff!

I like catalogs. I get a lot of them as well. I know that if I order something from one catalog, that merchandiser will probably sell my name and address to a bunch of other merchandisers which in turn will sell my information to others. It's an endless proposition.  I ordered some stuff from one of those catalogs that was supposed to remove baked-on crud from cookie sheets. It didn't work at all. Ripoff! I should have known if it sounds too good to be true it usually isn't, but even though I am generally suspicious I still get taken every now and then.

Magazines are purveyors of ads more and more. Readers Digest and Prevention magazines now have as many ads as they have content. (Maybe more ads than content!) Ripoff! I just don't think I want to pay for ads anymore. I would rather pay more for the subscription and get content, not ads. I know they have to pay the bills, but really, half of the pages are ads? Maybe they could have two types of subscriptions; they could have one with fewer ads costing more and one with mostly ads costing very little. Dream on.

Shopping on line has it's share of ripoffs.  Most reputable sites will let you know before you click the 'Place order' button what you shipping and handling will be, but I have encountered some that don't. Since a lot of sites offer free shipping you may think that's what  you are getting, but the 'gottcha' shows up when you get your credit card bill. Oh and there's another ripoff waiting to get you, the little box that offers you a 'discount on your order, just click here.' What can happen and often does, you are signed up for something called 'Rewards', Discounts' or some other misleading scam that will charge you $10, $12 or some other amount each month and bill your credit card. Ripoff!

Most likely the biggest ripoffs of all are the spurious products being advertised to make plump folks lose weight. They promise amazing results, but seldom deliver. Once you buy the product, an insert will tell you to follow the included diet and exercise regularly. Guess what, if you follow the diet and exercise you don't need their product. Ripoff!

Martha

No comments: