Thursday, August 14, 2008

No Vista Help on My Website

I really thought by now I would have added pages and pages for Vista help. Not so, because I haven't had to fix any problems with my Vista. Since I haven't had to fix any problems...........well, I have no experience in that area. (I'm not fussing!)

There are a lot of people who do seem to be having problems with Vista and there are a lot of sites with 'fixes' for Vista. One thing I have noticed, is that a lot of the 'fixes' are to make things act more like Windows XP.

Nothing wrong with that I guess, but to me that is going backward instead of forward. I have Vista on this laptop and I want to use it as it was intended.

There are some problems with Vista and I am not denying they exist. The biggest problem for me is what Microsoft did to Outlook Express. They took away the only redeeming feature that led me to use OE in past versions of Windows; the ability to use more than one Identity in the same user account. The rationale was 'users should set up separate user accounts'. That's all well and good, but I have several email accounts and I used a separate Identity for each account. Gmail to the rescue here!

Not only did they 'cripple' the email client Windows Mail, but it was buggy at the start. The deleted folder wouldn't empty and the old fix for this problem in Outlook Express wasn't possible with Windows Mail. So then MS came up with Windows Live Mail. Ugh! Ick! No way, Microsoft, Windows Live Mail just doesn't cut it. Thunderbird works quite well. No separate Identities in Thunderbird, but deleted mail will delete.

I am not sure what they did to Internet Explorer, but a lot of folks have seem to have problems with IE7. I don't use IE unless I have to because it still contains ActiveX, a favorite of drive-by spyware.

Those problems are easily fixed for me; I just don't use them most of the time. There is one little problem though that I have learned to live with, although I would like a 'fix'. Why doesn't Windows Vista remember my folder settings!

Martha

No comments: