Monday, August 18, 2008

What's in this stuff I'm about to eat?

Sometimes I wonder about stuff, like why does my pimento cheese spread have egg yolks as one of the ingredients? Cheese and pimentos yes, but egg yolks? But at least I understood 'egg yolks' even if I can't figure out why they put them in my cheese spread. Some of those other ingredients are a complete mystery!

I know most people don't read the list of ingredients that are in the products they buy. I understand why they don't read those lists; most folks don't have a degree in chemistry. I don't have a degree in chemistry either, but I feel compelled to read the ingredient lists anyway.

I am slowly but surely removing products from my 'buy' list. The first list of things I removed have a nasty ingredient, 'partially hydogenated oil'. This stuff is poison! Artery clogging poison! This made my 'don't buy' list get a lot longer as a bunch of food processors seem to think they have to put this artery clogger in just about everything. Bakers put it in cookies, companies like Kraft put it in everything! And just because the ingredients say '0' transfat, don't believe it! Check the ingredients. If partially hydogenated oil is listed, the product contains transfat. (Lies!)

Somewhere I read that if Grandma wouldn't recognize an ingredient, you shouldn't eat it. I don't remember where I read that, but I have decided that's a good thing to remember. The upside of changing my buy list is my grocery bill has gone down. (I don't go down the cookie aisle any more.)The downside is I have to cook almost everything from 'scratch' and I really don't like to cook!

You would think that not buying all that stuff would make me lose weight. Not true, even though I am not fond of cooking, I am fond of eating what I cook! Sigh!

Martha

No comments: