Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Chrome? Or Not to Chrome?

I don't 'do' betas any more since a disastrous beta several years ago (from Microsoft no less) made me do a complete reinstall of Windows.

Today I have a better system using Acronis True Image and a beta causing havoc could be taken care of in quick order by using my backup restore, but betas can be frustrating.

But that's not the reason I won't install Chrome.  Never mind it has big honkin security holes. I am not going to give Google another way to track everything I do online. In case you didn't know that Chrome will do that, better read this!

Some things are best left to what they do best, like Google has the best search engine and I will continue to use it, even though it supposedly keeps every search I make in a big database the size of the sun somewhere.

There are enough browsers now, although there could be some improvements in all of them.  If Microsoft would remove ActiveX from Internet Explorer, that would solve a bunch of security problems. (Think drive by spyware installs.)

I use Firefox as my default browser, but it too has some bugs. If I didn't use Firefox as the default, my next choice is Opera. I use Firefox because it has such nice addons known as 'extensions'. If Opera would do the same, then Opera might be my default browser.

Anyway, back to Chrome. I have heard that if it is uninstalled the uninstall might take some other stuff with it, but that is unsubstantiated at present. Some folks love it and some folks hate it.

When it comes out of beta I may install it on my secondary computer, just to check how my web sites look in Chrome. Until then, no Chrome for me.

Martha

1 comment:

James said...

Hi, I found your blog on this new directory of WordPress Blogs at blackhatbootcamp.com/listofwordpressblogs. I dont know how your blog came up, must have been a typo, i duno. Anyways, I just clicked it and here I am. Your blog looks good. Have a nice day. James.