Saturday, April 13, 2013

Expiration Date

I noticed something this morning when I was getting ready to shower. I opened a new bar of soap and noticed an expiration date on the box containing the soap. I didn't know soap would ever 'go bad'. In fact I still don't know it.

I think as long as there is even a sliver of that bar of soap, it will still suds up and wash just fine. Maybe the fragrance in the soap will evaporate, but I doubt the fragrance is really needed to make someone clean. Or will it?

I suspect the expiration date is simply a marketing ploy. I wonder if anyone has ever tossed a good bar of soap because the box had an expiration date that had come and gone! There are a lot of gullible folks out there believing all sorts of urban legends and hoaxes, so why not soap that expires? (Could be the anti-bacterial stuff expires, but not the actual soap!)

I started to wonder, if there are other things I haven't thought of with expiration dates.  I knew food and medicines have expiration dates but not soap! so I checked my deodorant, no expiration date.  That's odd, deodorant soap does, but not deodorant. Toothpaste yes, mouthwash no.

Now that I have thought about it, I will be on the lookout for those dates! Sad to say I guess everything has an expiration date, including me.  But there is no date stamped on me, so will just have to wonder about that!

Martha

 

No comments: