Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Another Gripe

My, my, the older I get the more I find to complain about. I think this is a privilege that goes with old age, so I exercise it!

This 'gripe' is about 'come on's'. You know, offers to sell you something that are worded to make you think this is just what you have been looking for all your life, or this is exactly what you need to make your life just wonderful. Right.

I usually don't fall for such drivel, but occasionally I get curious and check out one of those offers. (Isn't the Internet great?) However sometimes I think I already know what the offer is and I bite. You'd think I'd learn.

This time the offer was for a magazine, Prevention. I subscribed to this magazine many years ago and I liked it then, so when I got an offer to subscribe again, I bit. What I didn't realize, what used to be a fairly good magazine is now primarily a purveyor of advertising. I left Readers Digest for that reason. I understand these periodcals have to pay the bills and want to make a profit as well. But get real folks, who wants to pay for more ads! Especially for those obscenely priced prescription drugs that I should 'ask my doctor if it's right for me'.

Out of curiosity I counted the ads. There are 91 full pages of ads! And this isn't counting the articles that are touting products like shampoos, beauty aids, etc! I didn't count the partial page ads either. To make matters worse, there are 'Supplements' inserted by Prevention offering me the wisdom of the ages for books that cost 'only four easy payments of $7.99 plus shipping and handling'. Geeze, this magazine is so full of 'buy me' they should have named it 'The Ad book'!

Since I did fall for the offer, I paid for the magazine, but you can bet your bippy when it comes time to renew, I won't!

Martha

No comments: