Monday, February 18, 2008

Yahoo ID Fun (Not!)

I moved a while back and before I moved, I had SBC DSL (Now AT&T). When I moved to my new location DSL was not available, so of course my email account became disabled.

When DSL became available at my new location, I signed up again.

Here was my problem. All of my Yahoo Groups were tied to the now dysfunctional original email address. I couldn't remove that email address as it was the primary and there was no option to change it. (Yahoo should allow users to change the primary email address! I guess they have a reason for not being able to change it, but I couldn't find out what the reason is.)

Yahoo said AT&T has to fix it, they couldn't. (Why not? No one seems to know.) AT&T said Yahoo had to fix it. They couldn't fix it. (I think someone could fix it if they just would!)

I could log in to the original email account. I couldn't send or receive email from this account. (Every now and then spammers managed to send spam to it!) But I had to be signed in to this account to access my Groups.

Bummer!

So I finally took the challenge and setup another Yahoo ID and joined my Groups again. Some of them are still in a pending status and may or may not be activated. (Some owners/moderators don't check their mail often.) That's another gripe that could have been avoided if Yahoo would allow the primary email account to be changed.

I put this off for a long time, but it was time to do it. Sigh! I belong to too many Groups!

I finally got everything sqared away; Groups joined with new ID and unsubbed from the old ID. The moment of truth arrived and I deleted the old ID. That was a little scary, but the deed was done.

Joy! The old email address that was un-usable is gone! 'I' fixed it! Sorta fixed it, anyway it's gone.

I never, ever want to do this again!

Martha

No comments: