Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Wind in My Hair

It was also everywhere besides my hair. Last week the wind blew and blew, up to 59 miles per hour. It was also the day our trash was supposed to be picked up. Notice I said 'supposed'. The wind beat the trash trucks to the trash. Since we have to use unwieldy bins for our garbage and recycle trash, the wind had a great time blowing over those bins. First it would catch the lids that don't latch and then it would swoop underneath and turn the bins over.

That devilish wind was having a blast. Trash and garbage was blowing everywhere. I live on a hillside that runs East and West. The wind was blowing from the West and all the stuff was blowing downhill toward the East. The cacophony of aluminum cans, plastic water bottles and empty boxes bouncing along the street was almost hilarious, but when I realized someone was going to have to pick up all this stuff it wasn't funny at all. I really tried to pick up as much as I could, but that wind was blowing faster than I could run.

After up-righting the bins for I lost count of times, I gave up and moved them back to the garage. Finally the trucks came by and my younger son managed to get the garbage bin to the curb in time for it to be emptied. Missed the recycle truck, but we were too pooped to care.

Now I try to be a good neighbor and when I saw empty bins rolling along the middle of the street and noticed the bins were missing from my neighbor's, I went running to see if those bins belonged next door. Now the wind was still blowing so hard it was almost hard to stand up and that wind was getting colder all the time. I was trying to hurry to get out of the wind and clumsy me caught my foot on the step up to the porch and the next thing I know I am laying on that cold hard cement.

I don't know why I didn't break any bones as hard as I fell. Perhaps there is some good in being on the chubby side, that 'cushion' probably saved me from a broken hip as I landed hard on my right side. To top it all off, those bins weren't my neighbor's after all.

Today is trash day again and the wind is blowing. However, it didn't blow that hard today and the trash has all been safely removed and empty bins are now in the garage. I am still finding sore places from that fall, but I think I will live.

I used to like the wind.

Martha

No comments: