Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Caveat Emptor

Read the fine print, always!

Sometimes I get the feeling that 'they are out to get us', 'they' meaning retail or service companies. The old saying 'you get what you pay for' is not always true any more. Sometimes you get a lot less of what you pay for, and I have been reading instances of folks not getting anything they paid for. (I love The Consumerist!)

Recently a major department store had an ad in my newspaper for a mattress sale. (Mattresses are always on sale somewhere.) I don't need a new mattress, but the markdown was big enough to catch my eye. The mattresses were for a major brand and the prices were good, even for this retailer. And of course there was the 'hook', free delivery, setup and haul away of the old mattress listed in large print.

Except one little thing. There was a minimum purchase of $699 for the free delivery, set up and haul away. I found that very interesting. The sale price of a queen size set was $599, double set was $589 and twin sets $549. If you bought a queen set, which is probably the most purchased these days, the delivery was $65 and haul away $40. The only set that would qualify for the free delivery and haul away was a king size set for $999.

I wonder how many people bought one of these sets using a credit card and didn't notice the delivery and haul away charges. I am quite sure the retailer was hoping this would happen. If those folks are like a number of my friends, they carry a balance on their cards and probably just pay the required payments when they are due.

There are a number of retail department stores experiencing low sales these days. I don't suppose they have any idea that legal but deceptive practices like these may just cost them future business.

Martha

No comments: