Monday, April 21, 2008

Fun With Mice (Not!)

I use a laptop like a desktop. I have limited space for a computer and my laptop with a 17 inch display and keypad work just fine, as long as I can use a mouse. I absolutely despise those touchpads that come with laptops. I have a Microsoft wireless mouse and most of the time it works just great. Today it didn't.

I got the message popup telling me the battery power in my mouse was low. No problem, I just bought a new package of batteries (16) so I proceeded to change the battery. (This mouse uses just one battery.)

It didn't work. I put in a different battery and it still didn't work. I was ready to panic, that keypad was giving me fits! I tried another battery, still no mouse! I searched and found an old wired USB mouse and hooked it up. It moved sooooo slooow! The wire kept getting in the way. Ick! Maybe I just need a new mouse.

I decided to see if maybe I should find new drivers. Yep, new updated drivers were available. So I downloaded the new drivers and installed them. I disconnected the old wired mouse and hooked up the wireless mouse. Nothing doing, it didn't work.

I don't give up easily as most of my family and friends know. I tried yet another battery and lo and behold it worked.

By now I'm rather unhappy that I have a package of sixteen batteries that seem to be a bit old. Two of them didn't work and that is not good! These batteries weren't cheapies either.

So, OK, that's life. I noticed a new icon on my desktop for Microsoft Mouse and I check it out. Oh boy I can customize this mouse! I decide to click that button on the side of the mouse that will magnify stuff and oh boy, was that ever a mistake!

It magnified all right, big time! And clicking that button was supposed to turn the magnification off, but it didn't! I am starting to get dizzy trying to manuever around with this big box following my every mouse move.

So I just did the usual fix for stuff like this. I rebooted and was sure hoping it would work.

Everything is back to normal size now and I am going to forget about 'customizing' my mouse. Sometimes it's best to just leave well enough alone.

My son decided to check those batteries that didn't work. Something fishy going on, the batteries tested OK. I have doubts about that mouse again. I check in the Control Panel, it indicates the battery life is good. But that battery power low message is still poping up, so yes, I think it's time for a new mouse.

Martha

I have a new mouse! It is a Logitech V320 Cordless Optical mouse for notebooks and I just love this little mouse!

No comments: