Monday, April 14, 2008

No! I Won't Accept Your Invitation!

Lately I see more spam like this;

Hi!
I would like to invite you to visit my Refriendz page and see my latest photos.

In order to visit my space, you must go to:
http://www.refriendz.com/?do=Login.Invite&rid=someone&email=Group@yahoogroups.com (This line edited)

(If this link does not work, please copy and paste it into your browser or go to www.refriendz.com and enter 'someon.sm' (edited)as Invitation ID to Login to the web site.)

P.S. Refriendz is Invitation-Only, so do not miss your chance to visit my page!

Why I would care about visiting a page for someone I don't know is beyond me. I do know this is one way to gather more information about me to sell to spammers. It could be legit, although it is rather dubious.

Some times the invitation is to update some one's 'Birthday list. (My birthday has been the same all my life, don't think anyone who has needs to 'Update') or it could be some other type of invite.

I guess this is a result of all those 'social' websites that are poping up everywhere trying to cash in on the MySpace craze. I can't imagine anyone with a lick of sense actually clicking those links. With all of the malware, phishing and other types of scummy stuff out there, it's a far better thing to just delete this junk.

I suppose this type of stuff appeals to some folks, but no one I know would want it, at least I hope they wouldn't. I hope you won't click it!

Martha

1 comment:

Praken said...

Hi Martha,
Im the One who invite by someone i dont know. And when I go to refriendz and want to register, its ordered me to put my yahoo password there...BLAH ! It is a classic spammer way.

Please tell everyone you know to delete all refriendz invitation in their inbox and dont read it. It's Useless and waste their time.

Thanks