Monday, May 12, 2008

Sleeping While Texting

Cell Phones

More proof I was born 40 years too soon!

People under 30 don't just sleepwalk, they use their cell phones in their sleep. If you don't believe me just 'Google' sleep texting.

That's something that I find hard to believe, but apparently it's true. The experts seem to think it's true. I am not so sure. I have heard that people have been know to drive, eat and do a lot of other things in their sleep. Since I don't have any of those problems as far as I know, it's hard for me to understand. (If I do those things in my sleep, how would I know?)

I just don't understand the need to be 'connected' at every waking moment. I do have a cell phone, but it's turned off most of the time. I have it for emergency use only.

The local news stations tell me I can access the weather news on my cell phone. Sounds handy, but I can do that on my computer. They say I can access the weather on my cell phone when the power goes off. I have a laptop and it runs off a battery when the power goes off.

Personally I don't want that phone to become like a third part of me. I already have a third extension; my computer! However, when I leave the house I leave the computer at home. If I decide to work in the yard (I do occasionally), the computer is in the house, not attached to my body.

When I go shopping I concentrate on shopping. When I go to bed I certainly don't take the cell phone to bed with me. I hear a lot of folks do that as well. When I am driving I need to be focused on where I am going and the traffic around me, not yapping on the phone.

Some jerk yapping on his phone changed lanes right in front of me once and I nearly hit him. He didn't look or use signals, just pulled over and almost hit me. I hit my brakes and horn at the same time. He just kept yakking. It's a good thing no one was tail-gateing me or I would have been hit from behind.

I don't have a problem with other people using cell phones where ever they may be, but I think they shouldn't use them while driving.

I told you I was born 40 years too soon. If I had been born 40 years later, I probably would have a cell phone attached to me somewhere, more than likely my ear!

Martha

No comments: