Saturday, July 13, 2013

Hoarders And Storage Wars

I don’t know why I keep watching Hoarders on TV.

Is it because it makes me feel smug because I am not a hoarder?  I don’t know, but I do know, every time I watch this show I feel an overwhelming urge to clean out and get rid of stuff.

I learned during my last move that I have been ‘owned’ by stuff instead of me owning stuff. I should have learned that during the previous move from a big house to a smaller house, but somehow I still wanted to hold on to belongings that really had no place or meaning for me even though I thought they did.

I think ‘stuff’ is why folks think they constantly want a bigger and bigger house.  They need a place to keep all of the stuff that owns them.

I also watch Storage Wars some times. (I really should get a life!) Those abandoned lockers are usually full of stuff that the owners once valued enough to pay to store it. The lockers generally contain the kind of stuff a hoarder would like, no one I know would really want it.  Occasionally there is a forgotten treasure in amongst the junk, that’s what makes the show interesting. The show’s characters are a hoot!

I guess every so-called reality show has ups and downs.  one of the Storage Wars cast members Dave Hester says ‘it’s all a fake’. I don’t doubt it, but I still watch it.

Martha

No comments: