Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Blogging

The word ‘blog’ is a contraction of ‘web log’ according to Wikipedia. That page pretty much gives us a history of blogs and how a lot of them are used.  Some are specialized and some are sort of like mine, rambling.

I started blogging way back in 2004, on July 24th that year to be exact. I used Google’s popular blogging venue, BlogSpot. It was pretty much hit and miss if I made a blog post, as I really had no idea what I was doing or even how I should do it.

I was under the rather misconception a blog was sort of like a journal, just writing about thoughts in general, or stuff that happened that made an impression on me.  In all the time from the inception of that blog until the day I made the last post in May of 2011, I made only 43 posts.

Thanks to some really great MVPs, Pat Geary and Tina Clarke, I got introduced to the king of blogging, WordPress.  But again, I was pretty much hit or miss with my ‘blogging’ and I didn’t take the time to learn about all of the ways I could customize my WordPress themes. At that time I was too focused on my web site, Martha’s Web, so most of time I was concentrating on content and how it looked.

Fast forward to today.

I am finally starting to understand this world of blogging with WordPress and how versatile it can be. While I am still in the learning mode, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Since my web site was made back in the day when Windows XP was the latest and greatest, it is getting very dated and really doesn’t seem to be what is needed today, especially since I no longer use Windows XP or even Vista.  It no longer gets the ‘hits’ it used to get and while I certainly don’t want to leave all of the XP users in the lurch so to speak, I find it harder and harder to keep that site fresh and useful.

I am planning to turn Martha’s Web into a WordPress blog eventually, but today is not the day. I still need to learn more about what I can do and how I can do it before that happens. But I am told that once it happens, maintaining it will be oh so much easier.

Since I made that decision, it seems only sensible to just slowly migrate stuff to a new blog. So I am transitioning new stuff and maybe some old stuff to MyNotSoPerfectPC. I’ll see how that works for now.

Martha

No comments: