Friday, August 31, 2007

Scamp

I have a dog named Scamp. Maybe I should say Scamp has me, because he seems to be the boss!

IM000389.JPG

My younger son brought this rambunctious Cocker Spaniel into our lives almost 14 years ago. He was about six weeks old at the time and was already a little scamp, which was why he was named Scamp.

This ornery little pooch wants someone to be with him all the time. During the day he sleeps in his doggy bed placed next to my computer desk. He raises his head and looks around at me and then goes right back to sleep. If, however, he raises his head looks around and doesn't see me, he jumps up and hunts until he finds me. My sons say he's on a 'Mommy hunt'.

This morning Scamp wanted more attention than usual. Early and I do mean early, this morning he woke everyone up whining and scratching at my son's bedroom door. Now if you have a dog and he starts this behavior; you will get up and see what this is about because he probably needs to go outside. So my son got up and let him out. Then he starts barking to come in and mom wakes up. We let him in and all go back to bed.

About 20 minutes later the whining, scratching and barking begins again. So this time I go outside with him. He runs around the patio and wants to go back in the house. It is now about 5:30 AM and I am thoroughly awake, so I turn on the coffeepot and my computer. Before long, Scamp is asleep like nothing is going on.

I am reminded that when my younger son was about six weeks old, he would wake up in the middle of the night and just wanted to be held.

Kids and dogs; love them both!

 

Martha


No comments: