Monday, September 24, 2007

Going 'Green'

There are a lot of articles in the newspaper, various magazines and news programs on TV about going green to help save the environment. This is good; we do need to do all we can to prevent greenhouse gases from increasing the advent of global warming. It is very good to recycle glass, newspapers, magazines, etc. If each of us can do our part to save some trees and save some energy, this is a good thing.

My family replaced all of our incandescent light bulbs with florescent last year. This was supposed to save money on the power bill but since we have a power company that keeps changing the rates it is a little difficult to tell how money we're saving, if any. The bulbs are supposed to last longer, but they do cost quite a bit more to buy.

We have recycled ever since it was an option to do so. Sometimes I wonder whether washing out the icky sticky cans and jars are really helping; it takes water and we have to conserve water as well.

We have a very small lawn and use a battery powered mower/trimmer and recently my son has used a push mower when the grass isn't too high.

Trips in the car are mostly for my son to go back and forth to work (no way to avoid that!) and shopping and errands are consolidated as much as possible to save gas and $$.

Today in my newspaper (If you have been following my blog, you knew that was coming, didn't you?) is a story about how four families are going green. Most of them are doing the same things that we are doing and since they have children, they are teaching them to be responsible and go 'green' whenever possible.

This is all good and I admire them for all their efforts but for one thing. I am NOT going to keep a bucket under my kitchen sink for vegetable scraps and earthworms to make compost!

And furthermore, I am not going to 'pickup' any furniture from the landfill! (The story showed a family sitting on a broken down sofa in the landfill.)

Martha

No comments: