Friday, September 07, 2007

If Someone Makes It, Someone Will Buy It

I know people can do some pretty dumb things. I see that every day on the news. I see it in the newspaper all the time. Sometimes I see or read something that just leaves me flabbergasted.

Like today! A famous designer whose name I refuse to mention has made a purse that costs $52,500. No, that's not a typo! Apparently only 24 are available worldwide and at least one of them has been sold to a celebrity. (A celebrity with more money than sense!) I have no doubt that there are 23 more idiots that will buy the rest. I say idiots, because that is what anyone who spends that kind of money on an ugly purse is an idiot! The picture shown in the paper is of a purse that I wouldn't have if it was given to me.

For that kind of money you would think it should at least be gorgeous!

It gets worse! A competitor for this designer is making a bag that will cost $260,150! But at least this purse will have diamonds adorning it. I keep thinking of that old phrase "A fool and his money are soon parted”. In my wildest dreams I simply cannot imagine paying that much money for something as trivial as a purse. If I was rich I could see myself paying that much for a car, (maybe!) but a purse? No way, never, never!

Now I know that celebrities are always doing things to get noticed, including stupid things. That's why some of them are famous. Anything to get more 'press' seems to be the norm. However, being a member of the 'super rich' for some seems to give license to another phrase "I have no common sense".

Martha 

No comments: