Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Strings

I thought about strings the other day. (I need to get a life!)

Have you ever noticed how many things seem to develop strings at the wrong time?

This can happen when dressing to go someplace, especially when you are in a hurry. You check yourself in a mirror and "Egads! There's a string hanging from the hem of my skirt!" ( I imagine you'll say something besides 'egads' but I want this to be kid friendly.)

Now you have to find the scissors to cut the string because if you pull it, chances are the entire hem will come undone!

Then there are the strings that suddenly show up on brand new towels, bath mats, etc. Funny, they didn't show strings when I bought them. I don't buy the most expensive of these, but I don't buy the real 'cheapies' either.

'Strings' have more than one meaning too. If you aren't really careful when talking about strings, someone may think you are talking about something other than what you mean.

Some musical instruments have strings, like violins, cellos, guitars, etc. If you mention 'I cut a string' to a violinist, he/she may think you are damaging a violin!

There is something called 'strings' in computer language as well. My friends all know I don't write computer programs so that is one confusion that doesn't happen to me, but I suppose it could happen to some folks. There is something called 'String functions' in web site pages as well.

There is something called String Theory. I haven't the vaguest idea what that is, but there are web sites about String Theory. I think it has something to do with Physics which has never been one of my strengths. Since I've been reading that you should never stop learning new things, maybe I will check into this later. My older son has a degree in Physics, so maybe he can explain String Theory to me.

My younger son said that if you pull someone's string they might fall apart!

Last night while playing with my dog, he got really wound up. My son said "Mom pulled his string!"

I imagine if I looked hard enough I would probably find more things named string or strings, but that is enough of stringing you along today.

Martha

No comments: