Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Persistance Pays!

Sometimes I put minor computer problems off, waiting for the right time to fix.

Guess it was that time. Back in April I got the latest version of Corel's Paint Shop Pro to use on Vista. I uninstalled the trial and then installed the full retail version.

Every time I started Paint Shop Pro, I got a splash screen telling me I had thirty days left on my trial.

Not funny!

Editing the Registry, deleting all the files for Corel I could find was to no avail, every time I used PSP that stupid splash screen came up and I had to click OK to get the program to load. Corel's support just told me to do what I had told them I had already done. 'Support' means different things to different people, and that was not support.

I uninstalled PSP and again, deleted everything I could find with the name Corel on it. By this time I just decided to install it on another computer and forget about it. (Folks who know me will figure out this won't be the end of this.) This was in April.

Fast forward to August. I still hadn't installed PSP on my other computer; it already had an older version installed. By now I have found more of the little nooks and crannies where Vista hides things. So once more I do a hunt for all things Corel and sure enough; I found another Corel folder. It contained that screen that kept popping up telling me about the trial. I deleted it and reinstalled Paint Shop Pro. It installed nicely and now when I open it there is no aggravating trial notification.

Martha

No comments: